View Single Post
Old 11-14-2018, 02:43 PM   #23
Plane

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
[*]I would read the Roll with the Blow comment about a DX roll as a reminder, not as an additional roll.
Okay, I guess I was trying to overcompensate for forgetting to declare it until the last minute by making it hard to do. Especially since it's cinematic and making cinematic techs hard and dangerous seemed like realism.

Since you need 5 damage to actually knock me back if I'm using RWB (doubled to 10 is one multiple of ST 12 minus 2) this means no DX check attempt, no Breakfall attempt, no fall, and no damage to my chest... This saves me some work I guess and skips exploring the question of choosing what other hex I should occupy if I fall in a lying position accidentally.

Quote:
I wouldn't require AP for that roll, but requiring it for the movement created by knockback sounds fair.
I like combat being less tiring for lazy guys who don't bother to Roll With Blow, they're probably going to lose more AP anyway by taking shock. Applying a base 1 AP cost to RWB can still be of net benefit if it results in you losing less AP from shock/injury.

Same with the DX check, it's advantageous to take the effort to try and avoid falling down since that could prevent AP loss from the shock of any injuries caused by the fall.

I do like the idea of additional AP loss by knockback movement though :) This makes shoves a little more appealing and prevents "free steps". Although, perhaps if someoe knocked back had unspent Movement Points (or unspent Free Step) from their previous turn, I would allow those to be exhausted first before charging AP for the movements.

Quote:
[*]The HT roll to absorb damage is extreme and game changing. It should be declared in effect or out of effect at the beginning of a fight. I'm happy to play around with it in later fights, but it strongly changes how the game is played.
Okay, maybe for some future fight :) Cole had proposed multiple ways to implement that and it's hard to pick which is best, plus they all seem a little extreme in how much damage they deduct (low ST high HT creatures could rarely hurt each other)

Like with Shock, I think I'd like to see deductions somehow scaled to how much HP a creature has. If it's written with the assumption of MoS=1 saving HP 10 creatures from 1 damage, it should probably save HP 20 creatures from 2 damage and require MoS=2 to save HP5 creatures from that much (or deduct 0.5 per MoS basically)

- - -

So anyway, I'm going to backpedal on all my falling calculations (and spending AP on the DX and Breakfall) since you've chosen "DX reminder" so I guess I'm merely at 4/12 AP not 2/12AP...with a 4 HP injury to my leg but I didn't fall and hurt my chest too.

It's your choice whether you chose to half-crouch (-1/1) to hit the shin or made no crouch and did a free shin>thigh shift. Shin/Thigh dinstinction on the RHLT are only for the purpose of armor which neither of us has on, so I take the same leg injury regardless.

Now that it's my turn, to ride out this -4 shock penalty (no scaling for high HP this battle!) I'm choosing All-Out-Defense (costing 0 AP, providing 2 AP worth of free active defenses, and if you don't trigger at least 1 defense it functions like an untriggered "Wait" and gives me a HT check to recover APmentioned here, absent in Pyramid)

Taking the "Double" option to let me roll a 2nd defense if 1st fails, so no +2 "determined" bonus.

I won't be using my free step to back away from you, because I'll be wanting that retreat bonus.

Per GURPS Gladiators, I am going to shift my left leg/arm facing away from you and my right arm/leg facing you. I think that does something like +2 to hit my right limbs/extremities, -2 to hit my left ones, +1 to parry with my right limbs, -1 to reach with my left limbs. Can't remember all the details, will check later. Basically trying to minimize further injury to left leg and maximize ability to parry with my on had.

(they should probably create rules on how this might influence Random Hit Location... for now this will only make it less likely to hit the "denied" side on intentional attacks I guess)

I think we should also throw in those "weak hand" realism rules which I think is -4 to DX -2 to ST with our off (left) hands for both hits and parries. Presumably so far we have both been throwing punches with our "on" right hands to avoid them.

I know that you don't apply shock penalties to active defenses, but I don't mind doing that as a house rule for realism, in which case -4 to DX = -2 to parry and -1 to dodge, like what GURPS Martial Arts says for the -4 to DX from Grappling. That will count against my Alex Green now but may count against your Zach Red later if he does get hit. Please tell me whether you want me to implement that before I choose how to defend against your attacks.

My turn is over, reminder of sequence:
  • 1aa) your brawling punch to torso 5<12
    1ab) my boxing parry 8<12
    1ba) my boxing punch to random location 11<16
    1bb) your brawling parry 9<12
    2aa) your brawling punch to leg (8<12 if thigh, 8<11 if shin)
    2ab) my boxing parry 13>11
    2ac) my roll with blow failed, 4 injury, 24 seconds til Partial Injury COUNTDOWN
    2ba) my All-Out-Defense DOUBLE
    2bb) N/A
    3aa) YOUR NEXT MANEUVER

(something tells me this fight might not actually last until adrenaline wears off and I suffer the Partial Injury penalties, that's probably more of a factor for low HT guys... I think it would be cool to have some random element there, maybe just HT+d6 seconds instead of HT*2, thoughts?)

It's the THIRD second, what does Zach Red do next? Reminder I am at 4AP you are at 7AP, if I've adjusted everything right...
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote