View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 07:56 PM   #23
jason taylor

Default Re: Marine ceremonies and uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post
The traditional tuxedo used for formal affairs (on Earth today) is more than a century old.

But sure, formal civilian dress may be subject to fashion flux. Then again, it may not.

Hans
"The traditional tuxedo used for formal affairs (on Earth today) is more than a century old."

Quite so. It is to bad that we can't go back in time and murder the guy who thought of such an eye-torture as the tux. Still it does have the advantage of looking stern and stoic which is I suppose what you would want an imperial caste to look like.

"But sure, formal civilian dress may be subject to fashion flux. Then again, it may not."

Military fashion has a surprising amount of flux too, and not just for utilitarian reasons. The fritz helmet replaced the classic WWII skullcaps in the US and there is some reason for it(the fritz is a pretty good helmet by one or two accounts though GIs liked the WWII helmet because it could double as a bowl). But there was no reason for the pickelhaube which is simply ridiculous and that was fashionable in the US in the late 1800s because the Wars of Unification made Prussians look cool. The importation of the beret was mainly because of it's association with commandos even though it is not traditional for the US and there is no reason not to have an updated forage cap which can be hardy enough for campaign(I used to have a ski cap that looked a little like a Civil War forage cap and it was very useful when I went walking) and is part of American tradition.

Last edited by jason taylor; 01-21-2015 at 06:10 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote