View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #20
Nosforontu

Default Re: What would I need to run Fallout with GURPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetBushido View Post
However, I'm still curious as to where the 40 other skills (roughly here) come in. I can imagine a few being weapon skills, and then a few tech-related skills, and a couple of vehichle skills (unless we count Vehicle(Something) as one skill). But a difference of 40?
Keep in mind Gurps has six different unarmed skills alone that I could see in a Fallout game though Sumo would be a bit of a stretch (Brawling, Boxing, Judo, Karate, Sumo, and Wrestling).

It comes down to game philosophy other games tend to use one skill to represnt multiple somewhat related things, Gurps uses Defaults from skills/attributes to represent that knowing how to use a pistol should help you use a rifle, however it also says that at the end of the day a skill in pistol is not the same as skill in rifle.

Now that said Gurps also realizes that sometimes you really dont care about that level of fine detail and offers what is called Wildcard skills! that represent a very broad category skills instead with a single skill. Instead of bothering with 6 different types of unarmed combat you simply use the Fist! skill instead.

Depending on your tolerance for large groups of skills you could probably just treat the Fallout 3 games skill list as each being a Wildcard! skill and go from their.
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote