View Single Post
Old 10-07-2020, 03:56 AM   #49
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: What are the best magical systems in GURPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
You make the assumption that you can make a multi-level paut 'elixir' and therefore a multi-level talisman, when so far as I can tell you can't. Paut is always 1 point per dose, so all making a bigger batch does is make more one-point doses.
And actually how does the following thing contradict that? (from the linked page):

"Alchemy-20 with Technique (Paut Talisman, multiple doses) 5 will be able to produce a 6 dose (6 energy) Paut Talisman every 100 days in a normal mana area with the same amount of success as an enchanter making a quirkless 1 energy Powerstone."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Your reading would imply that an alchemist can just brew up Death elixirs that do 16d damage (4-in-one) and so on, and there's nothing to support that.
I addressed this in a later post:

However. "Drinking paut restores FP depleted for magical purposes – spellcasting, magical powers, etc. – at the rate of 1 FP per ounce. (...) Once the drinker is at full FP, any excess energy remains available, for magical purposes only, for the next 5 minutes. " (Thau 52) This expressly nullifies the "multiple doses of the same elixir will be wasted" presented in Magic.

The only possible limit is the "A wizard can drink an ounce of paut per second, and up to 6xST ounces in any 24-hour period." part but the key word there is "drink" You don't drink an Alchemic Charm. Ergo that limit doesn't apply to an Alchemic Charm.

However, rereading the rules I did find another possible limit: "When a talisman is used, its effects last as long as the correspon ding elixir would. The talisman then becomes dormant and must “recharge” for a number of days equal to the number of weeks it would take to brew the appropriate elixir." So regardless of how much energy (doses) one uses, up to the limit, the Paut talisman goes dormant. So it is a one shot energy boost every 1.42 days in normal mana. The GM might be generous and allow energy use in the 5 minute window but we are going RAW here and that is very iffy.

Unless I missed something else that covers all the bases.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.

Last edited by maximara; 10-07-2020 at 05:22 AM.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote