View Single Post
Old 10-06-2020, 09:45 PM   #47
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: What are the best magical systems in GURPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I wouldn't say there's nothing about time to use, really. It says you need to will it to work, and doesn't say anything about that taking time...I'd read that as strongly implying free action activation.

2 is true, but I don't think it's a loophole...there's nothing about multiple doses...so by what logic do you conclude that a talisman can deliver multiple doses? Single-dose paut talismans seem by the book, multi-dose seem...highly speculative.

3, yeah.
Regarding 2 The only thing that Magic says is that "The method of use of an elixir depends on its form (see below). Multiple elixirs may be used at once, but multiple doses of the same elixir will be wasted except on very large creatures, which may require extra doses at the GM’s discretion. "

However. "Drinking paut restores FP depleted for magical purposes – spellcasting, magical powers, etc. – at the rate of 1 FP per ounce. (...) Once the drinker is at full FP, any excess energy remains available, for magical purposes only, for the next 5 minutes. " (Thau 52) This expressly nullifies the "multiple doses of the same elixir will be wasted" presented in Magic.

"Since paut is liquid, a mage can measure out the amount needed for any spell, without worrying about the distinction between small and large powerstones. " (Egypt p92, Cabal p103)

The only possible limit is the "A wizard can drink an ounce of paut per second, and up to 6xST ounces in any 24-hour period." part but the key word there is "drink" You don't drink an Alchemic Charm. Ergo that limit doesn't apply to an Alchemic Charm.

Remember I said RAW not RAI. Sure you can interpret them in other ways to prevent this but this is the way the rules are written.

Besides it isn't that abusive because as was mentioned you don't break even compared with a powerstone in terms of cost until 40 doses which is only possible with Industrial Alchemy (ie TL6 or higher). And that is $36,250 minimum per under the best of conditions. So this isn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.

Last edited by maximara; 10-06-2020 at 10:00 PM.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote