View Single Post
Old 10-06-2020, 07:03 PM   #45
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: What are the best magical systems in GURPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Everything regarding Paut Talismans is by the RAW. Heck, I started out the piece with a link to the GURPSwiki: Paul Talisman

The page explains everything and cites where the rules are coming from.

"In Talisman form Paut will act like a Powerstone with a fixed "recharge" rate regardless of energy (3 (2.86) days in Low mana, 2 (1.42) days in Normal and High mana, and 1 (0.71) day in very high mana). They take 100 days to make and like all Alchemic Talismans must be worn to come out of dormancy.
Alchemy-20 with Technique (Paut Talisman, multiple doses) 5 will be able to produce a 6 dose (6 energy) Paut Talisman every 100 days in a normal mana area with the same amount of success as an enchanter making a quirkless 1 energy Powerstone."

The method uses what amounts to several loopholes in the rules.
1) There is nothing about no “time to cast,” (ie no time to consume) not applying to Talismans
2) There is nothing about downing multiple doses of an elixir. Paut is the only one where this means anything.
3) There is nothing about using multiple Alchemical talismans together. So you can use as many you can wear.
I wouldn't say there's nothing about time to use, really. It says you need to will it to work, and doesn't say anything about that taking time...I'd read that as strongly implying free action activation.

2 is true, but I don't think it's a loophole...there's nothing about multiple doses...so by what logic do you conclude that a talisman can deliver multiple doses? Single-dose paut talismans seem by the book, multi-dose seem...highly speculative.

3, yeah.