View Single Post
Old 09-14-2020, 05:45 PM   #18
Varyon

Default Re: Hair Growth magic item considerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenH View Post
The nail growth aspect does have some grim implications on its use. Your example is a clever use of a side effect; very clever.
To be fair, as the book was written from Elfangor's (the andalite) perspective, we don't know if Loren (the human) skewered the thing on purpose, or if it just sort of happened. The former is, of course, entirely possible - the kids in Animorphs can be outright vicious when needed, although the earlier books do downplay this a bit - but there's no way to tell. The entangled-in-hair bit was obviously an accident, but of course beating it to death was not.

Quote:
I had been toying with the idea of having the effect of the spell affect feathers, but on second thought, I don't think I will.
That's probably a good call.

Quote:
I have this image in my head of a mage casting Hair Growth on a duck (thinking he can make a wagon-load of down) and ending up with a featherless but hairy duck because the magic didn't know what the structure of "feathers" was, and sort of "did its best" to approximate.
That sounds hilarious. I wonder what duck hair would go for? I'd have it visually resemble platypus hair, for obvious reasons.