View Single Post
Old 10-31-2015, 08:12 PM   #9
Arith Winterfell

Default Re: Setting building help with intrigue and sci-fi

Well I’ve also been seriously considering an alternative option that of leaning toward Victorian steampunk again with elements of hidden supernatural powers and politics similar to a VtM/VtR game. Indeed the social and political conflict seem to be the main “core” of my setting ideas. I was struggling with sci-fi actually, and some of the issues raised here (that of privacy, etc) have helped push me a bit more toward the Victorian flavored steampunk.

Generally however my premises remain the same, secret societies in conflict. This setting would probably be more Victorian flavored rather than historically focused. I suspect I may be using some sci-fi ideas even filtered back through steampunk tech.

The question raised what am I looking for exactly in the setting, and that’s a good question and it might help me then to list some of what I guess you would call setting fragments. Sorta things I see in my head that spark my imagination and creative energy when I think of them. So here is some framework I’ve come up with so far.

1.Victorian industry flavored fantastical Arcology. A self-sufficient layered city with recycling processes and dark industrial lower levels. Built due to biological and chemical warfare devastation due to the Great War that laid waste to the countryside.

2.Public scientific progress vs. Hidden psychic and/or magical secrets. Generally I like the idea of technological progress in the public eye (which “everyone” knows is real and true) vs the secret societies that work from the shadows engaged in a shadow war among themselves using psychic powers or magical powers. I’m not sure which one I want to focus on yet. I know GURPS has an array of magic systems which I could use for such a setting.

2a. An example of the technological process is the use of Aether crystal which can be imprinted with light, leading to tech such as animated photographs (akin to the early silent films, but in a picture frame). Supposedly this type of photography can “capture images of ghosts” but they are vague, and there are vocal skeptics on the matter.

2b. An example of the hidden secrets are said Aether crystals do (if properly treated and prepared) do allow one to perceive spirits. This is of course one of many kept secrets by hidden paranormal groups.

3.The possible presence of supernatural creatures also hidden in the “mundane” world such as vampires, fairies (alien fey creatures), etc.

4.The presence possibly of a Shadow World, which exists alongside the mortal world and is its shadowy double where sinister creatures and reclusive members of secret groups hide.

Really at this point I’m divided as to if I should use just psychic powers OR go full magical route (in some flavor) OR go one step further beyond that and have players who can be vampires etc.
Arith Winterfell is offline   Reply With Quote