View Single Post
Old 08-31-2015, 03:43 PM   #22
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Spaceships] Interesting Piloting Techniques?

This is more appropriate for planetary craft, but 'low flying' is probably a valid technique. Its a famously dangerous one, but fiction tends to love low-flying craft -- and there are sound reasons one would stay low to the ground. This is for rolls related to dodging stationary obstacles and correctly maintaining your altitude.

Note, skill or no, this is a dangerous thing to do.

I like the 'whale-jockey' idea, but its turning on red alarm lights in my head: specifically, what self respecting pilot of an unwieldy vessel doesn't take a technique that improves MOST of his rolls. I'm trying to come up with a line that seperates 'good pilot of clumbsy vehicle' from 'good at making clumbsy vehicles do amazing things', and not coming up with one.

I think Cockpit multitasking is a solid technique.

And yeah, when building techniques, remember that a character will only want one or two of them. A single technique should be broad enough to be used all of the time. It should also be narrow enough that not everyone wants it. its a hard balance.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote