View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 06:32 PM   #17
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default Re: Bare Bones Basic - Combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
Come to think of it, I actually did this in my campaign but forgot to mention it here.
I made weapon proficiency skill groups:
WP-Blades (knife, sword), WP-Impact (club, axe), WP-Longshaft (spear, polearm), WP-Entangle (whip, lasso), WP: Fighting, WP:Grappling, all DX/A.
You can take the "specialized" DX/E versions for a few specific weapons, and the rest of the WP defaults to it at -3: Knives, Clubs, Staff, Punch.

I have an extra thing for specialized weapons (rapier, flails) as a technique at -3, but this is getting complicated again.

Ranged is Archery (bow, crossbow), Thrown (knife, sling), Guns (all types); specialties are Crossbow and Light (<1 lb.)
I instead shortened it to 9 combat skills: Unarmed, Knife, Sword, Hafted(axe/mace and some polearms), Spear (including staff and some polearms), Flail (including whip), Shield, Archery (all missile weapons including slings and blowguns) and Throwing. Unarmed, Knife, and Shield are Easy, Archery and Flail are Hard, the rest are Average.

I sometimes consider dropping Shield from the skill list and making "Shield Proficient" a Perk instead, but I think Enhanced Block would be too expensive as the only way to improve blocking and wouldn't feel comfortable tossing out shield bashes as a valid mode of attack.