View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 05:54 PM   #19
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
The technical task of making an image that looks like a photograph is easier (surprise surprise), the camera is a better tool for that than a paintbrush. In my experience, however, many "images that look like photographs" look like the photographs you see on random facebook profiles: flash is on, focusing on the wrong object or completely out of focus, photographer's fingers in shot accidentally, not cropped, subject is badly framed, and/or a zillion filters, stickers, and lens-flares.
Are those things the results of Photography skill or lack thereof? I have found that people that aren't into photography have a much more relaxed attitude to what is a good photo. The photo can have any or all of those things mentioned above and the non-photographers will deem it a good photo. I've had people making fun of me fussing about (iow looking for a good angle etc.) when taking a photo and telling me to just take the damn photo.

And FWIW, at least one pro-photographer I know intentionally shoots from time to time so as to get lens-flare.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote