View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 12:02 AM   #49
RevBob

Default Re: A-way down South in Dixie

Lots of stuff here, so of course I'm going to try to trim this down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sundered Sky View Post
I think it would've been nice if the responders had noted their state or former geographic area they were commenting on, to help give one an idea of what customs exist where.
For myself, I seldom explicitly note my location...because it's right there in my signature. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sundered Sky
I'm in SE Oklahoma,
Ah. Spread-out cattle country, from your description. That explains several things, like beef being the main BBQ meat and greater emphasis on privacy.

Quote:
Blue Bell is the best ice cream in the country!..or so the commercials say, and in doing a taste comparison with even their simple vanilla flavor, it's much better than even local rip off competitors("Blue Bunny").
We've got Blue Bunny here, too. The local big ice cream is Mayfield, though, and all snack cakes are Little Debbies. Of course, since Little Debbies are made just on the other side of this metro area (Collegedale is NE Chattanooga; Hixson is NW), that's only natural.

Quote:
Peach cobbler is indeed a favorite. And other cobblers, and apple pie, but peach and perhaps blackberry seem to be supreme.
Egg custard pie. Mmmmm. Sadly, it seems to be fading away.

Quote:
July 4 and Memorial Day are both big days, but the 4th is bigger for sure.
Not surprising at all. I note that my home state of TN spent the least time as part of the Confederacy; joined last and - except for WV - left first.

Quote:
No one says "ahnt", but a few say "aint".
"Aint" means "is not." "Ant" goes with "uncle."

Quote:
Pinto beans and cornbread are a staple here ... My Grandma/Mom would cook them for several hours with some ham hock and butter mixed in. Butter up some cornbread, add in some raw onion on the side, and I'm set.
I prefer biscuits over cornbread, and can't stand raw onion. Otherwise...

Quote:
We call them "Red beans" around here, though I've noticed that moniker isn't common. Apparently people use that name for Kidney beans instead?
Ayup. (Yes, I deliberately adopted that word from Stephen King's Maine, but it still works here.)

Quote:
Common threats include water moccasins/cotton mouths, rattlers, and copperheads. Poison ivy/oak, etc.
And teenagers entering the woods on suicide pacts. :)

Seriously, this is the southern end of the Appalachians. If you've seen The Descent or the Wrong Turn movies...head a couple of hours northeast of here, and that's about where they're set. That said, some of those folks would still blend in jest fahn 'round heah.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote