View Single Post
Old 01-26-2019, 02:31 PM   #30
Icelander

Default Re: Nazis Fighting Dinosaurs (or Dragons, Shantaks, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I've been using a similar rifle in a Weird War II game for several years. It's excellent as readily carriable firepower, but the Rcl is brutal.
In terms of game stats, anything with RoF 1 or lower ignores the Rcl stat entirely.

From a real-world comfort perspective, yeah, I imagine that firing the .500 Jeffries from a fairly light shoulder rifle without any form of recoil reduction is pretty brutal. Still, beats becoming shantak fodder.

Quote:
GURPS: WWII, has 1,200/5,400, 13d-1 (2) and Rcl 2.
Mmmm, yeah. Those are some nice stats for a marksman's rifle, especially one fired from a floating platform that pretty much guarantees control of the range.

My PCs have pistols, sawed-off shotgun, black-powder Winchester lever-action in .45-70 and one bolt-action rifle in .577 Tyrannosaur, which in terms of long range efffectiveness is not all that advanced over a TL6 elephant round.

Ordinary Karabiner 98k outrange them comfortably. PzB.39 is just adding insult to injury.

Quote:
There is however, something better that the Germans captured quite a few of: the Soviet PRTS-41 anti-tank rifle in 14.5x114mm Russian. You can cribs stats from the ZiD KPV machine-gun in High-Tech. Weight is 9lb, and capacity 5+1.
That's an outrageously light rifle to fire such a hefty round.

Arranging to have a few of these is no problem. But what about ammo? Did the Germans have factories making these rounds for captured rifles?

The PzB.39 has the added benefit of the manufacture of the APHC ammunition having been stopped at a time when the inner SS leadership were starting to put together a plan for a Last Redoubt, so arranging for the tools to become part of the secret settlement plans would have been easy.