View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 11:15 AM   #10
Varyon

Default Re: Remove armor by force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
That seems about right. Is the 1/4 based on a Don (or is that Undon?) time of 4 seconds?
No, it's based on the fact that removing armor takes 1/2 the Don time, and I'm assuming that half of this time is spent preparing the armor for removal (by undoing straps and the like).

Quote:
One thing I would add here is that the 1st attack is simply to grapple the buckle/strap, not to actually progress with undoing it in any way.
My suggestion assumes the character has already grappled the relevant hit location.

Quote:
The problem would be against guys who rapid-strike Grapple + Unbuckle (both at -6 to the DX roll or Undress Others skill) or who have Extra Attack, since they could make progress before the defender has an enchance to use an Escape maneuver, even though they would still get either a Dodge or Leg Parry roll to attempt to hinder each progression.
I'm fine with this, actually. Yes, it does mean that a highly skilled character can remove armor more quickly than the nominal removal time indicates. I'm fine with that.

Quote:
Would that reflect having to re-secure the armor to the limb and get the buckles close to one another since after the last is undone it comes completely apart?
Pretty much, yeah. It also reflects the fact that putting on armor takes twice as long as taking it off does.

Quote:
Is that -1 to DX per buckle undone? Or just from the 1st to the 2nd last?
It's -1 once all the buckles on that hit location have been undone (in fact, for simplicity, my proposed system ignores the fact there are multiple straps/buckles/etc, treating it as though there were simply one being worked on).

Quote:
Got confused as this point, are we splitting "loosen strap" and "remove strap" as different attacks?
Not exactly. Basically, if you simply reduce the amount of time remaining to undo it, you've loosened it. Once the time remaining reaches 0 seconds, it has been undone. So, against an armor with a Don time of 20 seconds, you need 5 seconds to remove the straps. Your first four successful attacks to do so simply loosen the straps - the fifth one undoes them.

Note here I'm using "undo" rather than "remove." The assumption is that the buckles/straps/etc are part of the armor, not accessories that you add on (in the latter case, you'd be able to remove it, and the character would have to take it back before he could put it on his armor).

Quote:
Assuming the default DX roll to attempt this is a 2-handed grapple, what kind of penalty should there be for doing it 1-handed? Assuming favored hand, obviously -4 if using the off hand.
"The Sound of One Hand Grappling" (MA116) suggests a -2, so I'd go with that.

Quote:
Also I'm thinking some passive skill penalties to this DX roll even if the enemy isn't actively defending, simply inflicted by any form of movement by them. A default DX roll (or Undress Others skill) should be assumed for someone who is immobile.
The foe moving is what requires you to even need to roll in the first place - otherwise, you just use Ready maneuvers.