View Single Post
Old 10-03-2016, 08:38 AM   #17
robertsconley

Default Re: [DF] Where Do Druids Get Their Power From?

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
For the moment just to say that the Druid term still needs to have some kind of link or resemblance at least with its meaning beyond the usual take of fantasy RPGs, and if that link were to be simply destroyed or entirely distorted we would be calling them . . . "whateverists" or something, instead of druids.
"Nature priest" covers it. I am pointing this not to be flippant but to illustrate there is nothing more to it than that. Which means any thing beyond that has to be added as result of referee fiat for his campaign and/or setting.

For me, I opted to revert back a bit to historical druid of the Celtics. Druids in the Majestic Wilderlands are part of a group known as the Trehaen. The Treahan are a significant aspect of one of the dominant human cultures of my setting, the Elessarians. The Trehaen are part priests, part judicial system, part scholars. The Druid class is the training that those focused on the religious side of the Trehaen get.

In terms of religion, the Trehaen believe themselves to servants of The High Lord and that the Forest Lord Silvanus is their patron. Their core belief is to serve as the heart of Elessarian culture. To guide, teach, and act as judges for the Elessarian people.

Elessarian civilization developed as result of contact with the Elves. The first Trehean were trained by the Elves and because of that. And because of the fact that Elessarians at the time were a wandering pastoral nation of tribes, the Trehaen developed a strong connection with nature. Once that is emphasized by them choosing Silvanus as their patron.

While they are not just nature priests, that how other cultures stereotype them.

There more to it than the above that relates to how the cosmology of my setting works, but that the ten cent version. The key thing to remember is that I bake in a lot of stereotypes in there so that newcomer can make valid assumptions. The idea Druid as nature priest being one of them.

So I agree with your sentiments but if you want to make Druids have a deeper meaning than you have to supply the detail. And that more you diverge from the typical stereotypes the more you have to explain so the players explicitly understands what going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
In the second place, about the "monster hunter" aspect you mention, the attack on dharma (not in the specific sense of Buddhism, but as divine law or cosmic order) is strongly related with monsters of all kinds (corporeal or not) and with the malefic in general, which in a way or another always makes its best effort to bring it down (for the regression into chaos), while some meanings of the word "druid" have connotations of strength and upholding.

For instance, in the Veda some combats against demons are won by means of the usage of the right rituals and mantras, which can be transposed to the domain of "monster hunting" action you mentioned (like it can be seen in the epic of The Ramayana, sacred mantras can be translated as supernatural weapons for warriors).
That not how I handle it but I seen that approach work out*. I recommend you start with that and expand it from there. Just remember to keep in mind how are you going to fill in a person that is a novice to your campaign
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote