View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 01:39 PM   #22
mlangsdorf

Default Re: Difficult monsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
Adventurers, pg 106.

Meteoric Iron can be applied to any metal weapon for +19CF. It doesn’t prohibit projectiles, so there is no reason you can’t have meteoric arrowheads.
It's even canonical with the sample scout carrying them.

My scout carries fine, silver-coated, meteoric iron bodkins, because if you need penetrate magic, you might as well be prepared for heavy DR and weird vulnerabilities.

I hate shooting them, because they're around $60 each, and I can't guarantee he'll be able to find another batch to replace them the next time he goes to Town. I'm not sure I would have fired a third one at that dragon even if the dragon hadn't set my scout on fire before I got the chance.

But the low and unreliable damage coupled with the expense of shooting them is part of the reason we fled from the flying dragon instead of engaging: 3 attacks, only one of which was likely to cause injury, was not enough to take down a HP 35 beast, and the knight, martial artist, and wizard couldn't really contribute at all. Non-meteoric bodkins and the cleric's Sunbeams would not have cut it either.