View Single Post
Old 11-26-2014, 07:40 AM   #8
Otaku

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#20): Chameleon, Silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Cats and children are making voluntary noise if not fully intentionally.
I was making a joke.

A really obvious joke. I added a semicolon/end-parenthesis pairing, a.k.a. a "winking smiley" in case the context clues weren't there.* Still, I will take advantage of this because I was misapplying Silence in this situation: I was thinking of people walking over noisy things, like stepping on crunchy gravel or the like, where someone light enough won't disturb the terrain enough to make noise (though even then there are exceptions - mice can be surprisingly noisy).

Exactly how much noise are people supposed to make while moving and breathing? Taking a moment to really consider things, is Silence just supposed to reflect the natural noise your body makes with itself? Humans moving aren't really that noisy; breathing either. I mean, if you use absolutely no technique sure, but for example a basic part of training for singing is how to breathe without making the usual amount of noise. I don't know how good of hearing you would need to still detect the sound that is made, but five points for a +1/2 based on that and your body not striking itself, having creaky joints, etc. really does seem rather steep. @_@

*Edit: Well, at least I thought it was obvious.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 11-26-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote