View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #14
Phoenix_Dragon

Default Re: Building Zentraedi Power Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Look, the OP is asking about a specific anime that you apparently have never seen and whose fictional physics you disdain. You're not helping anybody.
I've seen the anime, albeit a long time ago. I also played the RPGs inspired by them for several years. And I should point out, those mecha do fight on the ground, too (Fairly frequently from what little I remember of the show, barring the times they were in space, and even then they would still sometimes land on a ship). I certainly don't appreciate being accused of "disdaining" mecha-genre physics simply because I'm giving a more general overview of both sides, both realistic and cinematic. I even gave a fair description of why the realistic approach should likely be brushed aside in this case. You don't need to be rude just because I address things more broadly, and particularly not with a strawman.

Pointing out that a genre needs "rule-of-cool" in place in order to work as shown, and that it has flaws if one tries to follow realism strictly, is not "disdaining" it. It's pointing out a convention of the genre. I pointed that out because, if he's expecting the mecha to behave as it does in the show, he needs to know where to deviate from a strictly realistic interpretation that the base rules would give. Since the OP is talking about a Supers campaign rather than Robotech campaign, it seems like a good idea to at least consider what potential threats might be involved in that game; as most Supers games are set on a more-or-less modern-day earth, tanks seem like a decent possibility, and a good place to benchmark other large armored combat vehicles. If we had more specific details of the campaign in question, then we could give a more definite comparison, but we don't.

(And where does that 4 kph even come from?)
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote