View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 08:34 AM   #12
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default Re: [Magic] Resurrection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Personally, I think Resurrection should cost 600 energy, bringing it closer to the 25-point cost of Extra Life.
And I think Extra Life should cost closer to 5-10 points than 25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Power Investiture counts as Margery for this Purpose too. and is very likely if you casting in a Temple. Especially a High Temple rather than some rural temple.
The assumptions in Magic are that this is being done by wizards, not by clerics. Getting together a bunch of people with Power Investiture is harder than getting together a bunch of people with Magery, especially in settings where the former does not exist. And people with both traits, who could help meaningfully with either casting, are vanishingly rare.

Quote:
And that limit of 3 is only if they don't know the spell a less than 15. If they know the spell at 15+ they like the main caster they are not limited.
This is a spell with a long prerequisite chain including the highest level of Magery for wizards, and -usually- requires a high level of Power Investiture for clerics (though GMs can be as arbitrary as they want about this as part of the latter trait's design). So you're going to have a lot more people with Magery or Power Investiture and don't know the spell who can contribute 3 energy rather than those that know the spell at 15+ and can give it their all.

Quote:
20 Acolytes provided 3 each plus 80 lay member of the congratulation is 140, nearly half way there.
5 Priest priests provided 20 each brings us to 240
1 High priest provided 40 and leading the circle gives use 280
What kind of city is going to have that many clergymen? Probably a lot bigger than any fantasy settlement I've run into. I'm used to a "big city" having about 1,000 people and most villages having <200 including adventurers at the inn, each settlement divided from the next by several days of travel through untamed monster-infested wilderness.

And as an aside, spell-casting clerics are one of the D&Disms I wanted to break away from which helped me get into GURPS (more so than class-and-level characters). Your demonstrations work as well for "Archmage" and "Wizard" as they do for "High Priest" and "Priest".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Paut is probably the big one. A Mage can drink enough Paut in a day to temporarily (5 minutes) raise his FP by 6xST. Think of it as like chugging a 2 liter at 1 ounce per pt.
I thought Paut was a potion for restoring FP after it has been spent on magic...