View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 06:04 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: A Dungeoneering Fan, but a Total Gurps Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrothgar Rannúlfr View Post
I've seen GURPS mentioned on the forums at Paizo and Enworld. Some say that it is more complicated than Pathfinder. So, my first question is, is GURPS really more complicated than Pathfinder?
For the player, nor much, for the GM it depends because GURPS is more of a toolkit for running games than a single game. Dungeon Fantasy, however is considerably simpler than PFRPG, IMO. It's closer to a OSR game than it is to PFRPG.

Quote:
I've read GURPS Light, but haven't totally understood it, but I think the 3d6 system appears to be somewhat more balanced than Pathfinder and other forms of D&D. Is it more balanced?
Because of the way probability works rolling two or more dice and totalling them has more predictable outcomes than rolling one die. This is because on 1d20 there is exactly one way to roll a "10" whereas there are 27 ways on 3d6. 3d6's probability curve is very close to a bell curve distribution, which makes it like a lot of probabilities in the real world.

So in GURPS and Dungeon Fantasy the chance of success doesn't increase linearly with each +1 to skill, it increases very slowly at the extreme low and high levels, and increases quickly for middle levels. In PFRPG, conversely each +1 is exactly +5%.

Quote:
Also, Pathfinder has a lot of class options, however one of the drawbacks seems to be the class system, itself. I have players who take 3 or more classes just to realize a concept. Am I correct in thinking that GURPS makes it easier to realize a concept because it's not class and level based?
The default way to play Dungeon Fantasy is with occupational templates that roughly correspond to classes (although they are both more effective and more customizable than 1st level PFRPG characters). There are no levels though, and players can spend their earned points on development however they wish (subject to certain restrictions).

It does give the optional rule to allow characters to made off template, and buy everything à la carte.

Quote:
Also, I've read parts of the threads here about converting things like Rappan Athuk to GURPS and it sounds like those in the know find it somewhat easy to do. How long would it take to gain enough system mastery with GURPS to convert the Swords & Wizardry version of Rappan Athuk to GURPS?
Difficult to say, and it depends on your tolerance for "good enough". Using Kromm's suggestion for how to convert treasure might take decades with both systems. I have decades and I don't know how I would do it. :)

If you are willing to make quick and dirty decisions like "every 20 gp in the original is one gold coin" then pretty much instantly, I think.

Quote:
If I start with the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Boxed Set will it provide the guidance I'd need to get used to the GURPS system, character generation, combat, exploration, etc... and prepare me to move to other genres using GURPS?
It will give you some familiarity, but you will still need to get the Basic Set volumes when you want to run a really different game.
Quote:
That said, there are a lot of supplements to GURPS. Am I right in guessing that these forums would be a great place to ask for guidance on which supplements are recommended for a given genre?
Yes, absolutely!

Last edited by sir_pudding; 02-12-2018 at 06:08 PM. Reason: I thought this was in DFRPG, oops.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote