View Single Post
Old 02-22-2016, 12:08 AM   #44
Tomsdad

Default Re: Alternative IQ distribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithlas View Post
These comments remind me of a video by Vsauce where he talks about the disagreement among the scientific community as to how many senses humans have (is smell and taste one unit? Is auto-kinesthesia or proprioception something different than touch?), but splitting up Perception to that degree could easily get crazy. That there are multiple skills for tiny niches like Savoire Faire when cultural familiarity is only 1-2 points...that gets into a separate topic.

Despite that, why would there be something bad with splitting intelligence? Given that we're talking about GURPS, we're not comparing humans to animals (there's a lot of differences between those two...like culture. Yes, animals have their own codes/systems of behavior determined by what's facilitated by their environment). We also have Naga, self-aware computer viruses, and Starfish Aliens. Considering these, I think it's equally valid to consider IQ something to split as to leave oversimplified.

Thing is there's also disagreement within the scientific community about dividing different types of intelligence up, and comparing human and non human intelligence. So if there was some accepted reality to make GURPS IQ a better fit to, than I'd say let's do it. But there isn't so I think we'd do so and risk not getting any closer to reality.

That said if you find it a better fit to do so than go for it. Most GURPS stats and how they express already spilt down as is, nothing wrong be making that clearer and adding more.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 02-22-2016 at 07:32 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote