View Single Post
Old 11-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #44
Otaku

Default Re: Being self aware of mental disadvantages

Okay, caught up unless someone posts while I am typing.

It can be hard to tell when some people are talking about role-playing or roll-playing; the downside of convenient word play is that such a typo is so common with less clever homophones that happen naturally, like "canon" and "cannon".

Disadvantages are worth points because they inconvenience the player. Role-playing certainly can be a harsh mistress, demanding of you actions that seem far in excessive of a Disadvantages value and there is that "funny place" where the rules seem to struggle to distinguish between two people just as likely to submit to a negative trait when tested but one is gleefully indulging except in the worst of circumstances while the other attempts to resist any time it comes up... and both can be examples of good role-playing because different characters call for one of those approaches.

I would like a good means of mechanically distinguishing the two but until I find one, it simply boils down to make sure which ever approach is correct for the character, the player follows it while making sure the Disadvantage points are still being "earned". It certainly is not an exact science, but something the GM and players must learn to agree upon.

Otherwise once that is all settled, I would require an SC check for a character to go along with plans to help him, her or it avoid being exposed to temptation, and if it takes long enough, additional rolls to keep agreeing to it. This can be good role-playing; ever had someone say "Remind me not to ____." but after a bit they grow annoyed at you because you did just that? =P Thinking up such constraints on your own may require an SC check both at the moment of devising the plan (to avoid abandoning it because "Why bother?" or sabotaging it either consciously or subconsciously) and then to go along with it.

If there are certain simple, common measures, buying a Standard Operating Perk seems appropriate; you got points back from the Disadvantage, but if you want to minimize the risk you can pay points, so that the net effect is the Disadvantage isn't as disadvantageous but its okay because the points involved reflect this. Just make sure that each S.O.P. is neither too broad nor to narrow (players tend to have an issue with the former, GMs an issue with the latter).
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote