View Single Post
Old 03-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
aesir23

Default [SUPERS] My Unofficial Handbook to the DC Universe

Inspired by this thread, I've decided to undertake a version of the DC Comics universe that matches my particular tastes as a player, GM, and as a comic book reader. These versions of DC heroes and villains won't be perfect representations of the heroes as they appear in the comics, movies, or tv shows—rather they will be “in spirit” re-interpretations. Sometimes I'll make changes “just because.”

My ultimate goal would be for this to be a tool by which players can adventure in a version of the DC Universe that is fun and feels right (to me).

Unlike t-brock1031's admirable work on the Marvel U, this is NOT going to be starting the DC heroes out early in their careers. My favorite official versions of the DCU are the “Timmverse” animated series and the period of the comics between Identity Crisis and Final Crisis. In my version of the DCU, Tim Drake is the current Robin and if Damian Wayne exists, Bruce doesn't know about him. Cassandra Cain is the current Batgirl and Barbara Gordon is Oracle.

Additionally, there have been two major waves of super-heroes in the DCU, the first wave included the Justice Society of America (made up of Alan Scott (Green Lantern), Jay Garrick (Flash), Wildcat, Sandman (Ted Knight), Hourman, Black Canary (Dinah Drake), etc...). They fought in WWII, but, thanks to a number of factors (time-travel, healing powers, etc...) they have aged at different rates and some are still in fighting condition (though a little gray around the edges). The second wave of heroes (including Batman, Superman, Barry Allen, Hal Jordan, Dinah Laurel Lance, etc...) has been active for slightly less than a decade.

On major change I'm making to the DCU is in power level. The heroes of my DCU will not be of the earth-shattering variety—I plan to keep my A-List super-heroes between 750-1250 points, and even the likes of Superman will remain below D-Scale (unless they pay an Unusual Background).

Additionally, I'll be avoiding Wild Card skills unless they're part of an explicit super-power. I know they are often the best way to recreate super-heroes—this is just a matter of personal preference.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote