View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 07:26 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Alternative GURPS TRAVELLER (or path not taken)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Hello Folks,

Thoughts? Comments?
This is at least conceptually close to things I have been thinking about lately. Specifically I've been thinking about how I would build ships using the same technologies available in Traveller but starting from scratch.

For example I would have more than one kind of missile. The 100mm Tactical Missile from UT serves ground forces as a perfectly good anti-air weapon and even has enough Delta-V to reach orbit. If I was in charge it might have made the transition to space as an anti-missile weapon. Possibly launched in barrages from pods. I can even find base Gurps stats for pods of 4 and 20 in Pyramid 3/37.

Yet there are only one kind of missile in CT and two in GT:Starships. There aren't even missiles as small as 100 mm in Spaceships.

I'd also have to design logical stealth "torpedoes" from scratch in Ve2 as well.

I'm also frustrated with time scales in GT. It just doesn't make _sense_ to only fire energy weapons once per minute. Spaceships is almost as bad and both suffer from over built reactors that you just don't use if you have the full freedom found with Ve2. You run energy weapons off power cells in Ve2.

I'm also frustrated with the scale in Traveler generally. Ships are _huge_. I live in a 20 dTon house but that'd be a light fighter.

If you think a Type T Patrol Cruiser ought to be the sort of thing that would make a good host for a PC group and start planning out customs inspection missions that are going to go bad you find out that the "Customs Gig" seats 24 and the Type T has an 8 man security force that has nothing better to do than go on such missions.

If you wonder the Gazelle might be a better choice because it has no security force but I'd rather have a 10 dTon Launch tan a 20 ton gig.

So yes, I am frustrated by the constraints built into the design systems that would be easiet to use.