View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 07:16 PM   #5
Celti

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Clueless

Like Railstar, I very rarely play characters without a Code of Honour — at least a trivial one.

I very often create my own codes for characters. The very most recent I created was for a space opera-ish setting, for an officer in that setting's Starfleet (which has no relation to Star Trek's Starfleet — officially, at least).
As an officer of Starfleet I will maintain myself among the best that humanity has to offer, with a meticulous sense of honour and self-worth, discipline beyond all ambition, avarice, or conceit, respect for the liberties and dignities of all creatures, and an unyielding will to do justice and give mercy.
As an officer in command of a ship of the Starfleet, away from base, I am the last of the absolute monarchs with no one but myself to restrain me; I will always remain cognisant that I go where no other authority reaches, and I myself must embody the rule of reason and law.
As an officer in fellowship of the officers of the Starfleet, I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong, and morally sound, shouldering more than my share of any task, whatever it may be, that I shall never fail my peers.
Of my own free will and without reservation, I recognise that I have volunteered to serve the United Nations of Earth, fulling knowing the hazards of my chosen profession, and I will always endeavour to uphold the traditions, prestige, and esprit de corps of the Starfleet. Ten points to any of you grognards who recognise where I adapted this code from.
Another one that I've used for several characters is simply a quotation of the chorus from the Crüxshadows song Sophia:
Do not injustice to another
Defend the weak and innocent
Let truth and honor always guide you
Let courage find a life within
Stand up when no one else is willing
Act not in hatred or in spite
Be to this world as a perfect knight
Even if it means your life
For both of them, I've charged either [-10] or [-15] points, which brings me to an interesting contrast between 3rd and 4th Edition. In GURPS 3e (I distinctly recall this in Special Ops and in WWII), several Codes of Honour could be purchased at the [-10] or the [-15] level depending on how fanatically you pursued them; essentially, you could take either Code of Honour [-10] or Fanaticism (Code of Honour) [-15]. I think that's a very effective distinction that many 4e games could find useful.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote