View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #15
Anaximander

Default Re: GURPS Dragon Age

Landwalker: seems you were right about the Tranquil. To quote their entry on the dragon age wiki: “The Tranquil use lyrium to enchant items, providing the Circle its main source of funding. They have no innate resistance to its effects, but they possess a level of concentration far beyond a normal person's and thus are less likely to make a mistake while handling it.”

Delcar: I bought the Green Ronin RPG and found it gave a lot of neat background on Fereldan society and politics, most of which seems to have been added to the wiki. Altogether I was not impressed with the game system though. I love that Mabari template! I am so using that, even though we’re unlikely to actually encounter any of those big, loveable wardogs (my campaign is not set in Fereldan, at least not yet). But hey, Ash warrior mercenaries encountered in the Free Marches are not totally impossible, they’re merely preposterous :P. I think I will give them that Fixed IQ trait though. I am starting my players with 125 points and so far I've got a veteran Tevinter soldier and an Avvar apostate mage in my group.

So now the racial templates look like this:

Elf 9 points
Attribute Modifiers: ST-1 [-10], DX+1 [20]
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: Will+1 [5]
Advantages: Attractive [4]
Disadvantages: Social Stigma (Minority Group) [-10]

Still not sure what exactly to do with this one. The Dexterity bonus is more just to make them fit in with what people tend to expect from fantasy Elves. Giving them an IQ bonus seems just as unprecedented as the DX bonus. I was not led to believe by the game that Elves were more innately capable scholars, doctors and chess players than humans, but I suppose they could be.

Dwarf 16 points
Attribute Modifiers: HT+1 [10]
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: SM -1
Advantages: Magic Resistance 2 [4], Resistant to Lyrium (8) [2]

Perfect. Done. Big thank you to Landwalker for the Lyrium resistance.

Qunari 24 points
Attribute Modifiers: ST +2 [20]
Advantages: Reduced Consumption 2 [4]

A well modified Strength and a natural predisposition to great height is more than enough to reflect their bigness. Now I'm debating whether to leave them as is or to reduce their ST bonus to +1.

Mabari -9 points
Attribute Modifiers: DX +1 [20], IQ -2 [-40], HT +2 [20]
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: Will +2 [10], Per +4 [20]
Advantages: Discriminatory Smell [15], Enhanced Move .5 [10], Extra Legs (Four Legs) [5], Teeth (Sharp) [1]
Disadvantages: Cannot Speak [-15], Chummy [-5], Hidebound [-5], Horizontal [-10], No Fine Manipulators [-30], Social Stigma (Valuable Property) [-10], Taboo Trait (Fixed IQ) [0]

My new favorite racial template. Thanks again, Delcar. IQ 8 seems reeeally smart for a Dog though. What would that be comparable to?

The Cultural Familiarities I've got so far are Dalish, Dwarven, Qunari and Thedosian (which is the dominant human culture of Thedas, the setting of Dragon Age). I am unsure whether to have a separate Cultural Familiarity for Alienages and isolated primitive groups like the Chasind and the Avvars.

The Languages that I was able to determine exist in the world are Dwarven, Elvish (whose comprehension I am considering limiting to Broken), Qunari and Arcanum (the language of the Tevinter Imperium, which I am considering making a lingua franca for the setting).

Thanks again to everyone and please, keep 'em coming.
Anaximander is offline   Reply With Quote