View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #20
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Artillery (and Forward Observer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
In my previous campaign, which was TL2-3 fantasy, the leading military power was modeled on the Roman Empire. They made heavy use of siege engines, and the PCs found Artillery (Catapult) valuable for their more daring raids – especially ones where they captured loaded machines of war. The artificer found it useful for his one-off death machines. See GURPS Low-Tech, pp. 78-83 for the kinds of weapons that turned up.

In my current campaign, Artillery (Cannon) has seen a lot of use for infantry mortars (GURPS High-Tech, pp. 145-147), while Artillery (Guided Missile) has seen modest use for MANPADS such as the Stinger (GURPS High-Tech, pp. 152-153).

I've yet to use Artillery (Beams), Artillery (Bombs), or Artillery (Torpedoes).

Forward Observer has seen use in many of my higher-tech campaigns since it was introduced in the first edition of GURPS High-Tech years ago. I consider calling in fires to be a great task for small groups of PCs. That said, PCs have also used it to direct mortar fire from their own team just over the hill . . . having a camouflaged observer prone with field glasses on the hilltop while the mortar team is barely out of sight just behind him is plenty useful.

How did you handle the FDC?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote