View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 01:50 PM   #12
PK

Default Re: [MH] Would like help with some characters

If you're giving the commando high-tech weapons then I recommend helping the warrior by allowing vibroblades one TL earlier. You can compensate by making them "experimental" -- not just double cost, but also with a fraction of the battery life. A superfine vibroblade (SV) weapon does +1d+2(5) cutting and +2(2) impaling damage. A ST 17 warrior swinging a SV broadsword does 4d+10(5) cutting damage per swing. Against living creatures, the commando still has an edge, but they become more evenly matched against the unliving and the warrior has a huge edge against homogenous foes.

Take the mummy as an example: DR 6, HP 25, Homogenous. Assuming the commando is using a storm rifle (9d pi+, RoF 3), each bullet does 32 basic damage, 26 penetrating damage, 8 injury. The warrior's swings each do 24 basic damage, 23 penetrating damage, 34 injury -- better than four bullets. Extra effort (Mighty Blows) bumps that to 28 basic, 27 penetrating, 40 injury.

That's really more of a band-aid, though. Without a doubt, the better guns get, the weaker melee weapons are. That's why if I were to do an ultra-tech port of MH, I would also revamp the monsters to make them less vulnerable to guns. The simplest fix is to add Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction 3, Limited to Guns) to each monster at TL9 -- I'd probably go /4 or /5 at TL10. It's not even that strange a fix; a significant portion of myth is that these monsters are only vulnerable to certain thing. So it's reasonable to assume that the bullets which slaughter humans so well are strangely ineffective against angels, demons, vampires, etc.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote