View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #7
kdtipa

Default Re: KYOS - getting rid of thrust and swing damage

My big problem with the Thr/Sw system is that the damage progression isn't a pattern that can be defined with one mathematical equation. ST below 10 has its own thing, and once you get to a certain point the damage only changes at multiples of 5, and then at another point it's a different pattern at multiples of 10...

It's super confusing. But I do like having a distinction between Thrust and Swing. I like that a swing weapon at normal ST levels is going to do a fair amount more than a thrust weapon. It makes sense to me that if I swing a baseball bat as an attack, I'm going to do far more damage than if I thrust it.

I don't think just having one damage progression and then saying thrust equals that progression -2 will work... it's not enough of a difference at high ST, and it'll mean there's no good reason to bother with a swung weapon for high damage when a thrusting weapon will do almost as much and might have other benefits that a swung weapon wouldn't have.

I like that there are considerations to make.

This is of enough interest to me, that I'm going to spend some time at work trying to figure out what I would do (and might implement in my current campaign). I'll post the results if you're interested.
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote