View Single Post
Old 06-22-2019, 02:41 PM   #22
Skarg

Default Re: Death Test Mappable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallen the dark View Post
I also love GrailQuest, but you forget Orb Quest. I thought it was better than the Silver Dragon. What I liked best about Silver Dragon was the dragons... magic proof dragons really trow the players for a loop.
I liked Orb Quest at the time but didn't play it much because we only had one main Death Test party that had gone through DT 1 & 2, and they were so powerful they just mostly stomped their first Orb Quest. I still have my copy though, and have used the nice counters a lot. I most liked that it gave the characters that survived Death Tests something to do, though Orb Quests seemed rather similar.

I think it'd be cool & popular if SJG publishes some material for Death Test survivors.

I remember Silver Dragon and Unicorn Gold (which I also still have) as being both deadly and poorly edited, and marred by being part of a weird inscrutable treasure hunt puzzle so it felt like PCs wandering around and dying so that the players could get hopeless clues to an out-of-character puzzle, without much in-game goal or continuity. And I thought the weird beasts and "dragonodons" seemed mainly gratuitous. (I'll never have too few giant beaver counters, and they were useful to use as the horse counters Metagaming never provided.)

But they were the most strange and mysterious of the programmed adventures - if someone wanted a weird/gonzo TFT experience, there it is, and a GM might develop it further into something with more continuity. Or maybe it was genius that I never found an appreciation for.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote