View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 03:30 AM   #6
swordtart

Default Re: Vehicle Designs: "This Isn't Right -- This Isn't Even Wrong..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
Actually, that *is* a legal design -- Vans are permitted 3-sp. Turrets. (The real problem is the Van's limited max. load; a turreted "base" ATG is going to suck up something like 1/6 the available load.)
Except that an ATG cannot be mounted on the side of a non oversized vehicle.

Most people (in my experience) interpret that to mean it cannot fire to the side regardless on how it is mounted thus the turret would be limited to firing forward or rear.

Also if you allow an ATG turret for vans then you are implicitly allowing ATG sponsons for vans and you run into a world of hassle.

Our survey said... "XXX" Uh-Ughhhh!

Where is it written than Plasticores cannot be FP? P72 says they cannot be radial or OR.

As for OR Plasticores, I agree with 43. They are expensive enough that it isn't a balance issue and it's one less exception to a rule to try to remember. Whether they are worth it is an entirely different question.

I personally don't see an issue with having radial ones. Solids can be radials which seems a contradiction in terms and apparently Plasticores can still be Racing Slicks. The DP you loose for radials would have to come from the 4 rubber ones though and it would be a helluva lot of money* for a tire that can only loose 3DP before it looses both the bonus HC and the one it looses anyway for running on the core.

* Since a Plasticore that had lost 4 DP would be worth only 30% of its undamaged value (extrapolating from the salvage rules) I might be inclined to allow the modification to price for RS (and Radial/OR) to be applied against 30% of the total cost of a Plasticore. It is still hideously expensive, but it makes it a slightly credible option.

Weight is a different matter so I'd just hand wave it off and use the whole tyre weight as the baseline.

Under the logic above, I would consider allowing steel-belted plasticores too. I doubt that anyone would bother with even that reduced level of expense for 1 DP (assuming that we are using the 1/3rd (rather than the published 1/4) extra DPs rule). Since you are applying the whole weight, though you could probably add extra DPs to both elements separately and apply the full cost.

Last edited by swordtart; 05-22-2019 at 04:40 AM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote