View Single Post
Old 02-13-2017, 04:11 PM   #8
wolf90

Default Re: All the howitzers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianargent View Post
It's not the minimum 4 on the backer sheets I was referring to (though that does contribute to the high overall number of tubes in my ODE storage); but the 8 NAC, 12 PE, 8 Black Rose, and 6 "Belgian" HWZ counters in the ODE basic load. That's a lotta HWZ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstlaurent View Post
I was thinking the same thing the other day. Trains too, who needs this many trains?
First off, understand I was just a backer at the time these decisions were made, so I have no "inside information". That being said, all of these issues relate to the same concept, that being the multiplicative power of additional sheets.

You had to have a train on one sheet, right? Well, put four sheets in the set and now you're getting a lot of trains. Historically PE had more HWTZ available to them in counter mixes than NAC; one additional is added to the sheet . . . multiply by four sheets, and BAM! Lots of howitzers.

Plus additional faction sheets are based off of prior designs. My Barbarians set didn't need any trains from my perspective. But I was using "sheet B" which carries a train on it. Thus, trains are in my set. (I did make the train on the Sons of Old Nassau sheet a Black Rose train for just this reason. I saw no need for the SoON to have a train! Not that Black Rose really needed it either . . . ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
You are asking about all the HWZ, but think about all the Ogres. Sure, the game is called Ogre, but what kind of insanity would have to happen to ever use that many Ogres at one time?
This was likely in part due to the overwhelming success of the KS. Sheets were being added on the fly; it is not surprising that there is an excess of Ogres. Between all of the Marks, the Fencers, PE having IIIs and Vs, and unaffiliated Ogres (which was a $3k sponsored sheet - he could add what he chose, within reason), it is only surprising we have so few! (Yes, that was tongue-in-cheek!)

Plus, as you've stated yourself GP, you are an avowed lover of G.E.V. and the conventional units. There is definitely an observer bias! <grin>

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstlaurent View Post
I'm actually thinking about buying Ogre Reinforcements just to add more counters to the mix.
You might find an extra set of counters more cost-effective. Obviously you will get more trains, and howitzers, and Ogres, but you will get more of the other units as well.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote