View Single Post
Old 07-26-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Absolute Timing/Chronolocation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
You can tell you've traveled X days back in time, for example, though Daylight Savings Time, calendar reform, etc. can still throw you off and if you travel back far enough so can things like leap years; apparently you just get the raw amount of days and not larger units.
The Advantage knows about time, not about calendars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Still, my main concern is that the whole thing just seems... oddly defined. Why should personal timepieces matter? It seems purely an external thing to make sure the Advantage "scales", but being only two points I am hard pressed (useful though it can be) to worry about such a thing; it would have to be a very silly setting for a character to be crowned king (or some similar benefit) because he was able to track time to within a few seconds but the best the village could do for official time tracking is the sundial. Plus, without something that can track minutes or seconds effectively, it isn't like you can easily "prove" your accuracy.
Hmm. I wonder if it's actually to prevent cheesing astronomical navigation. A perfect timepiece that functions on shipboard is worth quite a lot in TL4.

Defining an advantage's effects so strongly dependent on your personal cultural context strikes me as bad and wrong, though.