View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 12:04 AM   #6
mook

Default Re: Examples of 4e Combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralRunner
In the first round of the first close combat example, Zach Red moves into his opponent's hex to kick. This is a valid move, but is not necessary; kicks have Reach C, 1. It might be worthwhile to point this out in the description of that maneuver.
Good call - this is supposed to be a learning tool after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook
I still seem to be a bit thrown by some of the grappling rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc
Ba-DUM-Dum-CHING! ;)
OMG - can't even believe I missed that when I typed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverius
I think its really cool, the way you laid out the examples. This is great for beginner Gurps players who didn't have a chance to actually play the game but have read over the books. Good job! ... BTW great website
Thanks very much.

Quote:
Right off the bat, I've noticed that you had your combatants roll for hit location. I think that is an optional rule. If the player doesn't declare a hit location than I believe it defaults to the torso.
That's correct, and in my own games I don't bother rolling random hit location either (unless it truly would be random - as you say, I just default to torso unless another target is specified). However as I'm trying to keep, as much as possible, every single RAW option 'turned on', I figured I'd include the random Hit Location rolls too.

Quote:
FYI: From your first combat example. If you take more than half your HP in damage, then you have received a major wound and have to roll against HT or suffer Knockdown.
Absolutely right - in Turn Four, Arthur suffers a Major Wound and it isn't stated. The first mistake!

Quote:
LMAO! The shock penalty is a bit redundant at this point, wouldn't you say? Don't remove it, though. I love this line.
Hahaha, yeah, the dude's definitely in trouble. :D But I figured if I *didn't* note the shock penalty, someone would point it out as an errata.

Quote:
However, there is an error in this example: the rifle in question deals pi damage, not imp. Not like that helps Zach, though. Also, you cite -10xHP as the point beyond which there is no chance of survival. While technically true, he would be just as dead at -5xHP, which is the point of automatic death, barring powerful magic. -10xHP is usually the point beyond which that doesn't even work.
Oops - nice catch on the sniper rifle damage, and the HP thresholds.

Thanks a lot for the corrections folks, I'll fix 'em up tomorrow sometime. If you notice any more, please let me know.

After these nine are thoroughly picked over I'll do a few with more advanced weaponry (nothing past a modern firearm yet), maybe a shield bash or two, an arm lock, etc. There's a lot to cover, even limiting myself to the Basic set!
mook is offline   Reply With Quote