View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 07:57 PM   #47
gibberingmouther

Default Re: Dragon Ball Inspired "Ki" Hero

okay i guess i lied about that being the last post, not intentionally though:

only one issue remaining with my Dragon Ball homebrew. at high tier levels, it becomes incredibly difficult to hit other ki fighters with your ki blasts. you have to raise your innate attack (ki blast skill) to absurd levels to hit each other (in the range of 30 to 40), using Deceptive Attack.

on the other hand, the only ki blast that is effective at high levels is the "scaling sphere" - either a missile type exploding sphere attack, or the "spirit bomb", which is the same thing except cheaper and takes longer to charge and is alignment limited - and that is effective in an area of effect, but still requires a dead on hit to do enough damage to break through the DR of a high tier character.

i think ki blasts and lasers in general should be harder to dodge. a ki blast beam (but not an "exploding sphere") moves at maybe 9 times the speed of sound or less (much faster than the flight of even a high tier character). a laser (a particle beam?) should move at the speed of light unless it is plasma based, in which case it might move at a rate similar to the ki blast. so i have to work with the GURPS rule set and arrange something that works with my homebrew.

i do like how the ki blasts and physical attacks scale when it comes to fighting mooks (a gaming term for an underpowered character who is meant to be taken out easily by the protagonists). but my rules should support fights between ki powered characters of various ranks as well.

edit: i was reading about this issue with ranged weapons and dodge, and i was reminded of the accuracy modifier. i could give an accuracy rating to my ki blasts to make them harder to dodge. any other fixes people can think of are welcome input!

Last edited by gibberingmouther; 01-11-2018 at 08:47 PM.
gibberingmouther is offline   Reply With Quote