View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006, 10:43 AM   #44
mcv

Default Re: Very Fit and Extra Effort in combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Not really. Consider: You're Joe Average. You fight Mr. Experienced for 10 seconds -- hardly impossible in reality. You last this long by doing nothing but a dodge at 8, +3 for a retreat, +2 for All-Out Defense, and another +2 for Feverish Defense, for a 15 to counteract his Deceptive Attacks and Feints. You use up 10 FP in the process. You're Joe Average, so you have 10 FP. You then pass out. How is that realistic?

Or consider: You're desperately trying to get through a door. Your initial kicks and shoulder blocks don't budge it. So you go for Mighty Blows. After a mere 10 seconds of hitting the door, you collapse in exhaustion, unconscious.
The problem here isn't the extra effort, it's the falling unconcious. You shouldn't be allowed to keep spending FP until you fall unconcious, unless you have obsolutely no choice (like hwne you're drowning). So after 9 seconds Joe Average is exhausted, and Mr. Experienced finally starts kicking the crap out of him.

Quote:
This stuff isn't realistic and wasn't meant to be. It's purely cinematic, designed for those "more all-out than All-Out" moments that you see in the movies.
Maybe the implementation isn't realistic, but the principle is. I know from experience that you can attack just a little bit faster and dodge just a little bit further with some extra effort, but you do get exhausted sooner.

Also, when your FP start dropping, I think you should get penalties to your skill rolls. Is this in the extra effort rules? I don't know the rules that well, but I think it should be.

Quote:
The FP cost serves the same purpose as the character-point cost for Influencing Success Rolls (p. B347): a control on overuse of the rule to the point where it's no longer dramatic or heroic, just munchkin. It has zero connection to real-world energy depletion. In the real world, a human can't burn energy fast enough to pass out in 10 seconds! That requires a choke or something.
But that's a problem with the implementation of the rule. A human can exhaust himself in 10 seconds. It's just the passing out that's silly.

mcv.

Last edited by mcv; 08-22-2006 at 10:46 AM.
mcv is offline   Reply With Quote