View Single Post
Old 01-22-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
DevoutGuardsman

Default Aura made of Objects

This is an interesting concept that occurred to me a while back that I've been struggling to implement effectively, so I thought I'd ask the more experienced GURPS GMs how they might go about it.

In brief:
  1. The ability is an Innate Attack that affects the hexes directly surrounding the user, for the price of 2 FP. This is pretty simply done with Aura, Melee Attack C, and Area Effect (2 yards).
  2. The Aura summons a set of spectral swords (going with 3 for simplicity). These swords are capable of parrying attacks the user is aware of and have very limited durability (HP 1, DR 6, 1 lb).
  3. The swords last for one minute, or until destroyed. They can be targeted like any held weapon, and broken when parrying sufficiently heavy weapons.
  4. Enemies within the aura's range don't get hit by every sword, just one. The swords could optionally require a roll to hit, as well.
  5. The swords can each parry one attack made at themselves with no penalty, but suffer the usual -4 for every attack made against them beyond the first. They can also protect the user, following the same restrictions.

Anyone have any ideas? I've had a go at making it as an Aura Telekinesis AoE with a limited number of 'shots', though that's screwing around with the conventional applications of Enhancements and Limitations so much I'm very reluctant to employ it.

EDIT: The ability is actually tied into two others, but given this is a hard enough problem on its own, I'm going to leave those alone for now.

EDIT2: This is a draft version I came up with further down the page:
Sword Aura, 1d+3 Cutting Attack: Costs 1 FP per Sword, -10%; Aura, +80%; Melee Attack, Reach C, -30%; Area Effect, 2 Yards, +50%; Cosmic, Can Parry Attacks, +5%; Breakable, DR 6, 12 HP, 1 lb, -10%; SM-4, -15%; Persistent, +40%; Extended Duration, 3x, +20%; Blockable, -10%. [30]

Last edited by DevoutGuardsman; 01-22-2018 at 04:55 PM.
DevoutGuardsman is offline   Reply With Quote