View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 08:53 PM   #7
Prince Charon

Default Re: Eagle shuttle from Cosmos 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Cosmos 1999 is the French title of Space: 1999.

The distance and speeds in the source series don't make any sense. The Moon is supposedly travelling at speeds that let them have an encounter with an Earthlike solar system every few months for the characters, implying hundreds of times the speed of light. Nonetheless, the Eagle shuttles, built for use on the Moon, are apparently able to slow down, land on bodies in those systems, and then catch up with the Moon, without any sense of time pressure.

Spaceships is far too hard-science for a campaign in this setting. Don't try to use it, you'll just be making life hard for yourself.
The best justification I can come up with for that is to ignore what's supposed to be happening, and postulate that the Moon periodically teleports or falls through wormholes, and does so in a sufficiently predictable fashion with enough delay in between that there's no appearance of a time crunch. If I were running a game version of it, I'd probably give them a semi-random teleportation device, so that they can control when they go, but have little influence on where (they're hoping against hope that their next leap will be the leap home).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 02-18-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote