View Single Post
Old 04-19-2018, 06:28 PM   #7
Refplace

Default Re: GURPS Mage the Awakening

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
A piece of advice on the world-adaptations I've seen a few times: Don't try to convert everything directly. Have a picture of what you want to make and build that. It doesn't all have to match the stats or have a conversion formula in order to get the feel you want.
Truth.
Go for the feel but dont get bogged down in details trying for exact conversions.
Odds are you can make a better system if you dont get caught in minutia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Archon View Post
Realm magic isn't adequate in general to transfer MtAw 2e magic, because neither of three suggested methods of determining parameters for syntactic magic work. MtAw magic doesn't require any kind of resource from mage, so energy-based cost doesn't work. MoS-based parameters also doesn't work, because in MtAw 2e number of successes rolled on spell roll doesn't matter beyond the usual "critical success". Modifiers to the skill roll are the closest to the system, but concept of Reaching breaks this approach too.
There are parameters, though it could use some fleshing out.
I really dont see this as hard as many people make it out to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Threshold magic might work well. Over stepping leads to Paradox.
Yeah, but Realms match over to Spheres better than Colleges do.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote