View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 11:23 AM   #24
Andreas

Default Re: Defense bonus and ATR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Classic Hero system logic would tell you that when Power A is usable only while Power B is in operation (giving you a reduced cost on Power A) then the value of Power A may not exceed Power B for game balance reasons.

It's not bad for pure game balance theory and in this case You would be limited to levels of the Enhanced Defense Meta-trait (Enhanced Dodge+ Enhanced Parry + Enhanced Block) equal to 3 per level of ATR.

That's purely Gamist but I can't give you reality-based numbers in this case. "Roll to Hit v. Roll to Defend" is pretty Gamist.
If that is poses a problem, you could just do it the other way around and give the discount to ATR instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
+Move seems excessive. I would suggest +Power Talent per level, which still could end up with with nearly uselessly high Dodge.

Speaking of which, Dodge above 16 is only useful in a few circumstances:
  • Penalties to Dodge are rare, and usually don't exceed -4.
  • Dodging rapid fire, which usually results in only a few hits.

This suggests that Dodge 20 is only somewhat useful, and higher levels rapidly become less so.
Well, how common penalties are depend a lot on the skill levels of the foes you face. In a game with high levels of ATR, those might be very high. Also, if ATR is common among your foes and if (as I suggested in the original post) ATR also gives a penalty to attempts to defend against your attacks (which would reasonably be as high as the bonus to active defenses since what matters in that regard is how many times faster one combatant is than the other), then dodge penalites could get very common.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote