View Single Post
Old 12-28-2017, 05:15 PM   #32
Varyon

Default Re: Dragon Ball Inspired "Ki" Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibberingmouther View Post
for ki blasts, i have: ray, medium beam, large beam, scaling sphere, and custom ... should the ray attack be piercing or impaling? this is the kind of thing i'm unsure of. the sphere is crushing burning or otherwise ... not sure about the remaining ki blast shapes
I'd build the Ray as Impaling, as impaling damage is typically the most penetrating type - mail is the only type of armor that protects against some other damage type (in this case, crushing) less than it does impaling, and the most common case for split DR, ballistic cloth, protects much better against piercing than impaling. Tight Beam Burning, like a laser, would also be appropriate for Rays, although that has the disadvantage of lower wounding (both against torso and vitals) and doesn't cause visible bleeding (a victim may still be leaking plasma, which is similar in effect).

For beams, I'd probably make them Crushing, with a Crushing Explosive Follow-up. I'd probably divide them up into light (one-handed), medium (two-handed), and heavy (two-handed, with a charge-up). Roughly speaking, give light beams comparable damage to handguns, medium beams comparable damage to rifles. In both cases, this is both the damage of the carrier attack and the explosive follow-up (although you could probably get by with reducing the follow-up's damage, at least for weaker practitioners). A light beam can probably get through a drone's thin armor, and the explosive follow-up (with a x3 wounding multiplier for being internal) will do the rest. A medium beam is similar, but can handle light to medium vehicles. For tanks and APC's and the like, you'll need a heavy beam, with damage comparable to an RPG or similar. Actually, you may be right in making the two-handed beams typically be the same technique, with typical quick usage being rifle-scale damage and an optional charge-up for dealing with heavy armor.

For spheres, they seem to annihilate whatever gets caught in them - an Area Effect Burning attack seems appropriate, possibly with a linked Crushing (or Burning) explosion. "Other," of course, depends on the shape it takes - Destructo Disk is Cutting, as you note. Actually, I'd probably class Rays as part of "other," as they seem fairly rare as something distinct from typical ki blasts.

And I'll certainly second the "create, don't convert" mindset, which it kind of looks like you're already making some use of.