View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 11:45 AM   #2
Otaku

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#33): Danger Sense, Precognition, Psychometry

As there are no other posts yet, I shall go ahead and address some of the changes between 3e and 4e. I did this last time because I thought it was rather illuminating, and because I had such a large post I had to break it up into two halves. I don't know if no one has responded due to total lack of interest, total lack of time, or because they assumed that this was going to become a staple feature and I needed that first reply... but I guess we'll find out soon enough. ;)

Past Editions

I know little of anything pre-Third Edition, so once I encourage those who do to share their experiences with the rest of us. Danger Sense can be found on page 20 of Base Set: Third Edition. It is almost identical to its Fourth Edition entry, save for the roll being against IQ instead of Perception, a lack of some clarifying text, and no specifics about handling this as an ESP ability (though it is explained later on p. 175). The price is even still 15 CP.

Where things become quite different is with Precognition and Psychometry. These were flat out psionic abilities, using the 3e psionics rules, where the character purchased levels of a particular psionic power (in this case, ESP) and could then learn skills to use said power. ESP contained the Skills Clairvoyance and Clairaudience, in addition to Psychometry and Precognition, all found on page 174-175 of the Base Set: Third Edition. I believe GURPS Psionics included a few extras, but I no longer have access to that book. All Psionic Skills were Mental/Hard. Here we find that Danger Sense is just the untrained use for ESP, and buying that trait just means you bought five levels of the ESP power without any training.

If you didn't want a character capable of doing all of these things, you could purchase an ESP for a single Skill; Psychometry was only 1 CP per level while Precognition only 2. As you can tell, that meant skipping out on less than all other powers was in no way cost effective; just Psychometry plus Precognition together would cost as much as buying a full level of ESP outright. There are some other changes in how these traits are used, given that we now have a "power level" to plug into formulas.

So with that out of the way, anyone willing to share their experiences with these traits? Whether as the player whose character had at least one of them, or fellow player of someone who did, or GM for the adventure, or adversary... or even just your thoughts and opinions on it, even if you've never actually used it; feel free to comment.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote