View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #35
Nymdok

Default Re: [DF] Solving for N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Problem is that you generally want a range of damage that can hurt everyone, and if one guy has DR 12 and another guy has DR 3, you're probably going to be throwing around attacks at 3d or 2d(2) or so.
This is why I generally recommend designing encounters to the party average (or median depending on which sounds better to you).

In the event of 'the DR 12 guy is invulnerable to attacks' then, again, thats what he PAID for. Hes getting the benefit of that DR which seems legit to me. If everyone else has DR3 and falls, then he'll likely be overwhelmed anyway or even attacked in a vulnerable location.

Again, let me restate that those guys who DONT have high DR normally have something else. They have some other way to contribute. If DR is bought with money (i.e. Armor) then they may have spent that money in another way for sweeter weapons or whatever. If DR is bought with CP then they may likely have a higher Defense or other resources.

From the adventure writers standpoint, you dont know whos going to come swaggering in to the Adventure (ESPECIALLY in GURPS). The N metric is as good as any as a simple 'go-by'. If you used N monsters in the last encounter and it was a little to easy, try 1.5 N. Having that original coefficient at least lets you do some comparisons from one encounter to the next. And its easy.

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote