View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 03:38 AM   #25
WingedKagouti

Default Re: Different Liches [Magic/Horror]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnGolem View Post
I was tending towards this sort of build as well, where the lich is essentially unkillable as long as its phylactery is still safe. I put this up to Unkillable 3, perhaps with a small discount since there is a workaround.
To me the standard D&D lich feels like it has Unkillable 3 (Gadget: Breakable, Unique).

Most phylacteries are small gems, so relatively low DR, possibly can't be repaired and SM somewhere around -10. The gem can't be stolen in the sense that the lich will lose his Unkillable, so that's not a factor, but it also can't be (easily) replaced so Unique is a given.

If the lich is destroyed when the phylactery is broken, you probably need to give it some variation of "reverse Unkillable" as a baseline trait along with "not 'reverse Unkillable'" that has the same gadget modifier as Unkillable. This way destroying the phylactery will not only remove Unkillable, but it will also free up the "reverse Unkillable" which instantly kills the lich. I can't remember the supplement where I saw "reverse Unkillable" defined or what it was actually called.

Note that without the above, the lich will continue to exist even after the phylactery is destroyed, giving it a chance to make a new one.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote