View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 11:59 PM   #63
Icelander

Default Re: They should really fix that in Cabaret Chicks on Ice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
See, that's a level of detail that I'd like to see. Iron can make cheaper weapons, bronze is heavier and more expensive, but might have a higher DR, etc....
The difference in effectiveness (as opposed to price) between a bronze blade, an iron blade and a low-quality steel blade are almost certainly below the resolution of GURPS. Sorry, but at some point, we just have to say: 'Eh, it's pretty much the same end result'.

Rest assured, though, in those cases where there is a difference between something, the writers will in most cases care more than enough about their subjects to ensure that the game stats reflect this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Of course, in a fantasy world, how rare and expensive certain materials are may vary according to GM fiat, but I've always favored using the real world as a starting point.
The real world as a starting point and a familar benchmark to aid visualisation is what attracted me to GURPS. Making judgment calls is far easier if the numbers and rules represent concrete things.

Maybe Bob the Barbarian is stronger, faster and hardier than any mortal man, but at least we can quantify by how much. ;)