View Single Post
Old 02-21-2016, 11:19 AM   #27
Gigermann

Default Re: [SE] Selling fish to a fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
A bank or high-security prison guard being persuaded to violate their duty by a normal human should certainly be extremely unlikely. I would give significantly better odds to exceptionally skilled people, but I would find it very unlikely that even they would succeed without some holding some advantage.

However, even very skilled humans most likely won't come anywhere close to a theroretically perfect approach. Such a negotiation is after all a very complicated activity with a near infinite number of possible approaches. Just because any real life human might be unlikely to succeed at such a senario, does not at all mean that any level of skill would be insufficent.

A guard could very well be pusuaded that he is better of with a changing jobs and that he would definately get away with violating his duty. Every guard might not be susseptible to this specific approach, but tailoring your approach to your specific target is part of having a high skill. Others might be possible to persuade that letting the prissoner go would be the right thing to do, that the friends of the prissoner are holding the family of the guard hostage or that they will get a bribe if they let them go etc.
It's in SE already (maybe Basic also?) that the guard could roll against his Loyalty instead—which, if he'd risk injury in the course of his job, would be 13-15. I was also thinking of using a Will-based Professional Skill roll for someone who's used to dealing with slippery types in the course of his job (a bounty hunter, in my instance). Risking one's employment is listed as a -2 (to the Manipulator), and personal danger is -3. Even so, that doesn't reduce the Vixen's chances against the Headsman quite enough to make it seem "right."

Last edited by Gigermann; 02-21-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote