View Single Post
Old 11-19-2015, 11:44 PM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Being self aware of mental disadvantages

Quote:
Originally Posted by VariousRen View Post
If a character has a metal disadvantage, how aware are they of that disadvantage, and how much can they do to prevent that disadvantage from coming into play?
Question part 1 - It's up to the Player.
Question part 2 - Minimal. Otherwise it's not a disadvantage and thus worth no points.

Quote:
For example, if I have a mage who has pyromaniac (SCN 15) does he realise that learning fire spells is a bad idea, and would he have to make a self control roll to turn down the opportunity to learn fire spells? Or, on the other hand, can the mage purposefully avoid fire spells to ensure that his mental disadvantage comes up far less often?
In my games he'd have to check his self control to avoid wanting to learn Fire Spells... because as far as the PC is concerned, fire is awesome and it would be awesome to be able to find/create/control it! Why woudln't he want to learn Fire spells?!?!

If the Player deliberately tried to avoid fire, fire powers, and triggering the disad, I'd make them buy it off.

Quote:
Another example would be curiosity during a long over land trip. Would the curious PC be allowed to willingly lock themselves inside a carriage with the windows blocked in order to avoid being drawing towards investigating things as he travels?
I don't think you understand what being curious means. The character would want to look out the window! Think about all the cool stuff he's missing out seeing!

On the other hand, no, I wouldn't be making them constantly check to want to run off investigating every 'interesting' thing they saw.... unless that was part of the adventure. But once the carriage stopped...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That example is a Phobia PLUS a Delusion.
That's also the exact phobia/delusion that Garrett of the Garrett Files book series has. He knows horses are as smart as people, they just have everyone else fooled and hate him because 'he learned their secret'.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote