View Single Post
Old 10-16-2016, 08:40 PM   #40
ronom

Default Re: Converting Twilight 2000 for use with GURPS 4e

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
Are you looking for critiques /editing / recommendations? If so:

Yeah, I think no ESAPI, too. I would also propose removing the M1A3 Abrams II "Giraffe". It never happened. It was never even considered, for that matter- it's pure fiction on GDW's part. And you're clearly making adjustments for real life happenings if you're including the M240 and dropping the "Giraffe"-like T90.

I definitely would believe the M8 gun happening if the Cold War continued, though. Hell, the airborne guys said it met all of their requirements and they wanted it badly, but budget cuts. Conversely IRL the Stingray tank only sold to Singapore with the last delivery in 1990 so it's probably a lot less likely, but if the tooling was mothballed and the US was desperate, sure, they could open production again- and a lot cheaper than the incredibly high-tech M1.

On that subject, you need the M1, not just the M1A1. I might throw the BTR-60 in there too. It also seems likely that the M60 and T-55/T-62/T-64 would be coming out of mothballs. Otherwise, I generally think you have all of the important vehicles. (I could definitely keep listing ones I'd like to see, though, if you like.)

I'd seriously consider including the M47 Dragon. It wasn't wasn't retired until 2001, and we still have them mothballed. Yes, in a mechanized European was it's deficiencies would be starkly revealed- thus speeding procurement of the Javelin- but it would still be cheap and easy to manufacture and still quite effective against lesser ATVs and technicals. National Guard units would almost certainly have fielded them at the very least.

I can't tell if you're including only stuff that isn't in High-Tech or not. If not then the RPG-7 seems like a pretty glaring omission. And almost everyone in NATO used the Carl Gustav except the US.

With a Surgery skill of 14, your Doctor template is a friggin trauma surgeon. Was that your intent? Physician-16 also makes him almost an outright genius. You might want to make a couple of lenses for that. But I'm a surgeon, so maybe I'm just sensitive to this.

What edition of GURPS is this for? Some of your templates list languages as skills, but in 4e they are advantages.

Including the practical differences between burning petroleum, ethanol, or methanol in your vehicle would be pretty key. I think there is something about it in other GURPS supplements somewhere.

You might consider throwing in more calibers for the civilian Mauser hunting rifles and the Winchester Model 70. I'd also add the Remington 700, at the very least. I always bemoaned the unsatisfying dearth of weapon options for civilians in T2K.
65 Giraffes existed for testing at one point, don't know how many remain at the proving ground. One could make them available to troops returning from Europe. 1/4 to 1/3 and the rest stripped for parts and/or retrofitted to standard configuration. The same area held the test LAV-75's.
ronom is offline   Reply With Quote