View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #36
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: [DF] Maximum Skill Levels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog View Post

The occasional "high level" NPCs - cult leaders, evil high priests, mirror-duplicates of the PCs, etc. - are totally awesome though.

My old non-DF GURPS game had a fencer who was hard to swamp and could eye shot anyone under skill 16 with total ease and parry dozens of attacks (net -1 per additional parry, two rapiers). Her role was to kill off massed weaker opponents.
This highlights great roles for the high-weapon-skill fighter: dueling other high-weapon-skill fighters that mostly come on two legs and use human-style weapons, and controlling hordes of low-weapon-skill fighters that mostly come on two legs and use human-style weapons. These niches are vital ones in any DF party! It's why I wouldn't actually set upper limits on weapon skills. If the other niche-fillers have no special upper limits (racking up lots of Energy Reserve and spells at free-to-maintain levels, or huge ST and damage enhancers, or just epic quantities of mundane utility skills at respectable levels), then neither should armed fighters. It just happens that while some niches "level up" by improving in several areas (FP and spells, ST and damage enhancers), and others do so through eternal broadening (tacking on special-purpose skill after special-purpose skill), this one works by piling points into a single, key skill.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote