View Single Post
Old 03-20-2020, 05:20 PM   #654
Astromancer

Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Puppet Shows

Puppetry is a well developed art in the 3I. It's also highly influenced by technology mainly sophisticated Telepresence. Puppeteers act through their puppets like Bunraku puppeteers, and they are seen as artists in the same way.

Individual puppet robots are complex works of art and often of a quality any museum would be proud to display. Many playwrights write exclusively for the puppet theater. Stage designs for these small theaters are often made by the finest artists of the 3I.

There are individual plays with special puppet robots just for them, these range from faeries tales to epic romances like the tales of Arthur or Orlando to kitchen sink dramas. There is also a standard repertory group of puppet robots much like the Comedia dell'arte. many plays, especially by newer playwrights, are written for this group of puppets. Established playwrights can get troops to invest in specialized puppets for one role only.

As the telepresence motions of actors can be recorded by the puppet robots so that these performances can be replayed later. Much like we can listen to Beatles records or watch old films with Kathrine Hepburn or Humphrey Bogart. Some performers specialize in being the one "live" player in an otherwise recorded show. Such performances generally involve topical asides and comebacks.

The puppet theater is like the 3I's court jester. They can say thinks others can't. Mind you, sometimes they go to far.

Another wrinkle is that theater "troops" are often one or two people with a bunch of puppets and recorded shows. A great cover for smugglers or other people who need to move secretly.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 09-19-2022 at 06:29 PM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote